Thursday, March 08, 2007

Lost In Translation

It's funny how, just when you think you have the measure of a situation or person you find that you've been completely wrong. It really shows that no matter how people behave or what they actually say, they will frequently do the opposite with no warning. It's not like I'm wishing for live subtitles showing what people actually mean when they speak, of course not. There is a certain amount of subtle insinuation, tact and a little game-playing that is inherent to living a successful life without getting punched in the face too often. However just occasionally I wish people wouldn't say things they don't mean.

I'm referring to O, my date from Sunday. He actually said the words 'It would be delightful to take you out again, perhaps for dinner next time?' then kissed me. I suppose there is wiggle room there in that he didn't actually book a date or promise me anything but I took it to be more than just casual speculation on his feelings regarding a second date were it to happen. It's not that I'm overly bothered; after all I have had time to review the height issue and it really is something I'd have trouble getting beyond, it's more that I'm now confused over what it was about me that stopped him from calling me afterwards especially as Boy Time (I'll call you tomorrow = 48 to 72 hrs later) has now elapsed. Had he just said it was nice to meet me, pecked me on the cheek and disappeared into the rain I would have no preconceptions. It would leave him open to call or not call as desired. I have tried so hard whilst dating not to lead on anyone I really didn't want to get to know better, it's only polite. Even when one bad date read my cool dismissal at the end of the evening correctly but still text me the following day asking for 'one more drink to close the deal' (honestly!) I was utterly unambiguous in my response.

Still, I won't allow myself to dwell. Tonight I have a date with P, another teacher (these things go in cycles I find) who is as mentioned a lot taller than me. Last night we organised when and where to meet and he text me saying 'I'm going to send you a pic of how I look now, let me know if you still want to meet.' Cue visions of massive weight gain/baldness/loss of an eye until the picture arrived and I was relieved to see he looks the same as his other pictures and is very cute (dark hair, blue eyes). We're going to one of my favourite cocktail bars in Piccadilly tonight which I'm looking forward to. I am wearing a new dress and have broken out the Fendi B bag as I felt the outfit deserved to be accessorized appropriately!

I did a quick count earlier and realised that I'm currently talking to around 7 guys on the website and 4 or 5 have so far floated the idea of meeting up. I'm worried this is going to get a bit heavy so perhaps I should try and limit the numbers slightly. I'm just concerned that I don't want to miss out on someone really great! After all, I'm not doing this because I really enjoy the heart-in-mouth anticipation of first dates, I'm doing it because I'm sick and tired of being alone.

No comments: