Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Down South

I found myself in Clapham last night. Well, I say 'found myself' as though I had no say in going there, I did of course have a choice and I chose to go to Clapham. It's sounds clichéd but I don't really do 'sarf of the river' however last night's date was coming hard on the heels of a very stressful week and a rubbish weekend and I needed to let my hair down. After a couple of drinks off Oxford Street we grabbed some food at his suggestion (I took that as a sign he didn't find my company repellent). He then suggested heading down to Clapham which is oh so conveniently located close to where he lived. Now I was under no illusions about the reasons behind this. I am not so naive to believe that he wasn't slowly edging me towards his bed in tiny increments. However I was just in the mood to misbehave and decided to go along with it. We did a couple of bars then the inevitable 'Do you want to come back to mine for one last drink?' line came out. Well of course I did but you have to be coy about these things. I muttered a couple of cursory 'Oooh I really shouldn't's before blithely hopping in a taxi with him. Actually the night was lovely. He was lovely. The flat was lovely ('wow' factor lovely - lots of stainless steel and leather sofas).

The nicest and most surprising thing though, was after the inevitable happened, he proceeded to spoon me, all night long. In fact, I woke up in his arms this morning and I usually can't sleep without an acre of personal space. I left his flat at 6.15 to dash back to Fulham and hurl myself under a hot shower but before I left he told me to text him later to let him know how my day was going. I didn't really reply, save for a wry 'don't feel you have to bother' smile but when I told him I'd had a good time with him he said 'Well it could happen again you know.' It just feels as though there are a couple of details that stopped it from being a typical one night stand. I tend to find they don't cuddle afterwards, they barely look at you the next morning and they certainly don't hold you and kiss you properly before you leave. But then I've been here before. I've looked for meaning where there was none and I've blown up tiny details to infinite proportions just to try and believe that maybe this could be something and I'm always disappointed. I went into last night knowing that it was likely to be a one night stand and actually, I think I'm OK with that. Sometimes you just have needs that have to be fulfilled, right?

No comments: