Monday, March 12, 2007

Adoration

I have rediscovered The West Wing. My dad got me into it the first time around by lending me each video box set from series 1 through to 7. When I was at home recently I borrowed series 1 again (now on DVD!) and I'm hooked all over again and frequently reduced to tears by the storylines in this incomparable drama.
I've now borrowed series 2 which I'm just about to watch for the second time in two weeks. It's an odd sensation being utterly invested in the characters whilst at the same time not having a clue what's going on. Actually, my tenuous grip on the intricacies of American politics has tightened with the last few viewings. For example, I now know what a filibuster is! I know how a bill becomes a law! I know that during times of war the eagle on the presidential seal on the Oval Office carpet, faces in the other direction towards the arrows in it's left talon and away from the olive branch in it's right (impressive or what?)!

I can completely understand why members of the American public have in the past been vocal about wanting President Bartlet rather than President Bush (I assume they do know it's a fictional character and are being ironic). It's not hard to see why; Martin Sheen is astonishing in the role and gives me goosebumps every time he delivers a speech or floors someone with his razor-sharp debate skills and depth of knowledge. Plus, he has the most amazing way of putting on a suit jacket. It's the sort of stupid detail I tend to notice but next time you see an episode where it happens you'll know what I mean.

I think my number one crush has to be Josh Lyman. Yes, Sam (Rob Lowe - early series) is pretty and extremely intelligent but Josh is funny and confident, therefore cute. The relationship between Josh and his assistant Donna is so well written. She is the perfect foil to his disorganised joker.
Favourite character though, hands down, is CJ Cregg the Press Secretary played by Allison Janney. I am consistently impressed by her delivery of lines from the complicated and heavy with jargon to the lightening fast comebacks. Despite her levels of professionalism and strength of character, she still manages to give a credible air of a career focused woman trying to maintain her impressive status in a male dominated world whilst occasionally wondering whether she's good enough and displaying a distinct lack of comprehension regarding men. Lately, whenever I've been in a difficult or stressful situation at work I've asked myself what CJ would do. Yes, it's kind of sad but it's funny how, when I think of that character, I secretly stand a little taller, walk a little more purposefully and try my hardest not to take any crap. CJ Cregg, I salute you!

No comments: